Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I Have A Dream(zzz)

In honor of the 50th Anniversary of Dr. King's historic "I have a dream" speech... we're marching on over to youtube to countdown our 10 favorite dream sequences in TV&Film. What's your favorite? Comment below!

BUT FIRST!

Here's a sneak peak at the blog post for the 100th anniversary.. Top 10 SONGS about dreaming...


5. Moonage Daydream
An overlooked Gem from "Ziggy"
 



4. The Dream Police
From David Byrne's "Rei Momo" album... although the thought of this guy "policing" my dreams, is quite terrifying..



3. Sweet Dreams

I love those redheads...



2. I've Got Dreams To Remember

OTIS. Nuff Said.



1. Dreams

The Allman Brothers at their finest..I pulled one from the short-lived Jack Pearson era (post-Warren). I always remember him tearing this tune in particular apart.. and doing it seemingly effortlessly with a butt dangling from his mouth...





OK -- now onto the clips!



10. Big Pussy Sleeps With The Fishes

This is kinda cheating with this clip, as it's all the different dream sequences from this epic episode strung together.. nonetheless.. good stuff.



9. Hitchcock(s)

Again, to make it easy on myself.. I'll give this a two-way tie to the master of suspense.. first for his ahead of its time scene from Vertigo.

WAIT! Does Stewart represent.. the lollypop kids?

And 2nd... for his melting of time scene from Spellbound.. (although, he kinda cheated in this one by bringing in a ringer.. Salvadore Dali...)


8. Fast Times (Times 2)

We'll give both dream sequences their deww here.. but I think we all know which one is better.. (Ahem Phobe's Cateses..)


Remember when Sean Penn was cool? Yeah, me either.. it's been a while...



Oh, Poor Billy Rosewood.. At least he didnt get his Franks & Beans caught in his zipper...


7. Multiple Peaks

It's been so long I almost forgot about this one.. but as far as bugged out dream sequences go, it doesn't get much more ridiculous than this..



6. Baby Spotting

And speaking of bug outs... oh man, this scene gave me night terrors for a while..



5. A Beaute!

Sometimes I forget how awesome this movie is...  then a random thing like TDS will remind me.. oh yeah, it's the shit.




4. He's Dreamy
Cheating yet again with a two-way tie..  to the dreamiest guy in hollywood these days.. Leonardo..
First up -- Inception. I guess most of the movie qualifies as a Dream Sequence, but this one in particular is pretty badass... On a side note, quite a strange film. When I saw it in the theater, I was a little disappointed.. probably because it was so overhyped. But after re-watching a few times, it's pretty damn good. That being said, not my favorite Leo performance, and I still think maybe it could have been a little better...amazing concept for a movie, but the execution could have been a little better.. but I digress..


As cool as that is.. I think this scene from Shutter Island is even better. That to me, was a tad underrated

3. Pee Wee's Nightmare
Speaking of underrated movies, not sure how many people realize just how good Pee Wee's Big Adventure is. If you havent seen it in a few years, (or decades) give it another watch. It's far from "just another kids movie." And fun fact -- it was written by Phil Hartman.  It has a few good dream sequences in it, but this one is just amazing.. thanks in large part to the awesome work of Danny Elfman.



2. Hey! How 'Bout Fletch?!?!

Tough call at the top here, but I had to put this at #2. Through no fault of its own.. it's just up against some pretty stiff competition (pun intended)



1. Tripped on a cloud and fell 8 miles high

And the top spot, without a doubt.. Gutterballs. Enjoy.. it just never gets old!



Staff recommends:
While we're on the subject, I couldnt find one good clip to pull out (no pun intended), but I highly highly recommend the movie, "The City of Lost Children" to all who haven't seen it. It's a French film, so you will have to read some subtitles (Beavis: If I wanted to read, I'd like, go to school) But don't let that discourage you. It's by the creators of Delicatessen and Amelie (two more MUST SEES). Essentially, it's about an old man who can't dream, so he creates a machine to steal the dreams of children, whom he then kidnaps. It's weird, trippy, bugged out shit -- all the things you look for in a good movie. Here's the trailer.

Honorable Mention: Dream A Little Dream (you go Corey Feldman!)

No comments:

Post a Comment